Monday, November 26, 2007

Book Review: I am Legend

I sometimes get eye rolling when I tell people I enjoy horror and Sci Fi. It is not just fun, but the best of these genres reflect on the human condition. I am Legend by Richard Matheson, one of the great suspense/horror writers, does exactly that. It was written in the 1950s and it tells the tale of one man, Robert Neville, fighting against a virus that changes people into vampires. He is immune to the virus somehow and must face his dreary existence. The book does not focus on the action of gore and vampires sucking blood, but about Robert facing the loss of his family, the dull routine of the daylight hours, and his search for a cure. It boils down to facing loneliness and hope in a world that offers a lot of the former and none of the latter. The movie will be coming out soon and they changed the location to a big city like NYC, but this should work just fine. It is not where you are, because the emotions will be same. I can see why it was one of Stephen King's favorites. It is a great story! --Bryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home