Sunday, October 01, 2006

Bird Report

The leaves are beginning to change out here. Here are a few more observations since the last report:

1. I finally saw the Phoebe that I have been hearing just about every day.

2. I saw a Great Blue Heron in the Rockfish Creek while we were driving into work one morning.

3. I discovered a warbler in the trees between our house and Jennie's. It had streaked flanks and a little yellow. I could not see anything more than that.

4. I finally heard and saw the elusive fish crow. He was perched on a building at the downtown mall in Charlottesville.

Until next time...

4 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - the fish crow - sorry we missed it over Labor Day. It still is the strangest sounding bird! The blackbirds up here are beginning to gather in large flocks as they prepare to leave next month. We missed a great many warblers and others by not going to Headlands this year. Will not let that happen next year. On trip to Columbus may see some more blackbirds and turkey vultures before they leave also.
Keep those bird reports coming.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Bryan Craig & Myla Goldman said...

I heard and saw another fish crow at lunch on the mall. Fish crows seem common on the downtown mall, probably due to the regular food source.

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Bryan! Sorry to be so late in responding to your latest bird report! Too bad about the warbler, but "streaked flanks and a little yellow" isn't much to go on for an ID, is it???

We didn't see any yearbirds or lifers on the Columbus trip, but we did spot several large flocks of blackbirds. Last night, in the parking lot at the Texas Roadhouse we did see one of those huge blackbird flocks--over 500 birds in one large group overhead!!==Bill

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Bryan Craig & Myla Goldman said...

Yeah, it is shame about not getting a better look at the warbler. I have noticed a flock of geese in the Rockfish River from time to time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home