Saturday, February 09, 2008

Research Dude

I have a new part-time gig. It happened quite suddenly. We know someone over at UVa's Miller Center for Public Affairs (http://millercenter.org/) and I got an email about a job opening last Thursday. The job is research assistant for the Edward Kennedy Oral History Project. The Miller Center tried to find grad students but nothing fit, so they decided to go for a non-student. We exchanged emails and I got an interview on Monday. I got the job at the end of the interview!

So, my job is in doing research to support the interviewers as they go in and interview the subject related to Ted Kennedy. Only one person actually interviews the Senator, but I might get a chance to sit in on some of the other interviews. Also, I would do some work for the Bill Clinton oral project when they need it. The Miller Center (in its mission to study the Presidency) mostly handles Presidential Oral Histories, but Ted Kennedy shopped around since he wanted to do a oral history and picked the Miller Center. The project has another 3 years to go. I'm excited since I wanted to work with this Center ever since I got back into town.

It is 20 hours a week, and with the 16 hours with the TJ Wiki, I am close to full-time. I recently read in the Wall Street Journal that people who have multi-hour jobs to create full-time has doubled. Well, I'm close to it. --Bryan

5 Comments:

At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, congratulations! I know you have been interested in the Miller Center for a long while. So what is the Kennedy project? Is it for the JFK Library? So two part time jobs focuing on presidential research - sounds fantastic to me. I know you will relish this and enjoy it as well.
Love, Dad

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fabulous and very interesting job - and what you do will be preserved for posterity. Not many of us can say that. Congratulations!

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun and interesting. Two factors not many jobs offer. So, enjoy and congratulations!

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Bryan. You're now the most presidential guy I know, having never actually been elected.
Melinda

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Lisa Craig said...

Congratulations, that is SO awesome!! Remember, any juicy stuff about Ted or Bill could probably be sold to TMZ or some other trashy gossip web site, increasing your income potential, haha! - Lisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home