MASH Encounter
MASH is one of my favorite all time shows. I have most of the series on DVD and I remember fondly watching it with my dad and Uncle Bill. For my birthday, Myla got us tickets to see Mike Farrell as part of the Virginia Festival of the Book. Ferrell is the actor who played BJ Hunnicutt on MASH. He wrote a memoir about his days growing up in West Hollywood, struggling to become an actor and an activist. He didn't really have a set speech, but opened it up for questions right away. One of the things that stuck with me is that with all his travels and experiences, Mike says people just need love, respect, and attention. If you have those three ingredients early in life, you are in good shape. Wise words.The bonus came right before the talk. When we went to our seats at first, I noticed three people behind us. No biggie. Myla went to the bathroom, then I went after her, again not registering anything. Well, after I sat down, we hear someone approach the gentleman behind us and say how much his mom loved MASH and wanted to get a picture. The gentleman said no, I don't do that sort of thing, because it would cause too much of a scene. Myla registered the voice as someone famous and I immediately recognized the voice, too. We both looked back and it was Alan Alda! He was with his wife and mother. Myla even chatted up with Alda's mom about how they would put in fake braces to act cool or older. Alda stood up to ask Mike a question regarding his big feet and people were surprised to see him. Pictures were taken, which most likely, we were in them. We live on until one day someone finally erases that camera card! --Bryan

2 Comments:
WAY COOL, bro !! What a perfect night for a MASH-ie! (is that a word? Is now). I'll bet Alan Alda was very cool. What a terrific birthday present! Mike Ferrell always seemed down to earth. We should tell our boss about Ferrell's words of wisdom.
Hi - Now I know what you were saying on the phone. My phone or yours was causing some sort of interference. Next time will call you on the land line. Anyway what a most fabulous birthday. Two MASH stars in one encounter. Shall we call it "Close Encounters of the Second Kind"?
Love, Dad
Post a Comment
<< Home