Saturday, June 28, 2008

Baby Mama Drama



Wow!! So this whole "in sickness and in health" thing really comes into play when one is pregnant. I am now 19 weeks and for the first time in my pregnancy feel like a my usual self. As many of you know, I had a lot of nausea and fatigue during the first 6-12 weeks of the pregnancy (picture sleeping on the floor of my office during mid-day). Then after 2 weeks on hospital service during 12-13 weeks I became very sick. This seemed manageable until I was sitting at home and short of breath at rest! After a trip to the emergency room, where I think they were trying to kill me, I was discharged in the same state I had arrived in 6.5 hours earlier. I called my OB, who says- OH you have "atypical" pneumonia, very typical this time of year in pregnancy. I will call you in a prescription. And so it began 7 days of antibiotics. Lots of soup and sleeping. Bryan was amazing, responding to my every whimper and whine. OK.....Finish that, things looking better. UH OH! Is that a small nymph deer tick in my thigh. Why yes it is!! Hmmmm..... What is that thing called- Lyme disease! Oh My!! Call the doctor. Nurse not that concerned. My beloved sister Amie does a google search; results: Risk of Lyme low in Virginia. No worries.... Then 4 days later, Bryan has a tick. No worries. Then 3 days later I see this on Bryan's leg--



For those of you that may not know, this is a classic Lyme "target" lesion. And in typical "drive you crazy" husband speak- when I said, "Honey what is that on your leg?" Bryan said, "Oh that, I don't know it has been there for 3 days". THREE DAYS!!! and you didn't say anything. Off to the doctor. Bryan is diagnosed with Lyme disease. Third case that week that his doctor has seen. Myla is back on antibiotics to protect Wiggle from evil Lyme disease. First they put me on amoxicillin. This by the way is POISON. I could not function for 4 days on this medication. I was very dizzy, nauseous, extremely fatigued, and clouded in my thinking. So after 4 days of this, they changed me to cefuroxime. I had to take 14 days, Bryan 21 days. And so we were the pill popping proud parents to be. Incidentally, our neighbor was diagnosed with Lyme's disease 2 weeks later.

OK so, finish 14 days of antibiotics (are you still with me here). Then, on the last day... lots of bladder symptoms. Although it may not seem possible that I could get a bladder infection on big gun Lyme antibiotics- it turns out there is one bug that causes bladder infections NOT covered by the medicine I was taking. Of course there is.... And so another 7 days of a third antibiotics. So that would be 30 days of antibiotics in total, for those keeping track. I told Bryan our child is going to come out in chinked armor.

And I thought trying to get pregnant was hard! Hopefully, things will settle down. And I can focus on the important stuff....like eating more guilt free ice cream. Babies need dairy you know.....

6 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeez Louise!!! What trauma! I think you got all the preggo ailments out of the way before you were halfway done. And think of the immunities Wiggle will come out with. S/he will be way ahead of the pack when the bugs pass into the petri dishes that are young children. You're paying the price now for fewer sick days later I bet. (I hope!) Hang in there!!

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, great belly shot! I am jumping into the fray really early and calling BOY. Based on nothing really, but your belly looks like you are carrying high and compact - which is nothing like I carried. How's that for logic?

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger jordana said...

nice target lesion. you should show that to your med students ;)

thanks for the update! glad you are feeling better!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Lisa Craig said...

I need a nap just from reading your summary! - Lisa

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Bryan Craig & Myla Goldman said...

Well- there have been a LOT of votes for a boy based on my belly shot. With 4 sisters between the two of us, 3 nieces, and almost exclusively female cousins, Bryan and I would be proud to bring some testosterone to the clan! July 28seems like a lifetime away.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Lisa Craig said...

In my precognitive dream back in February, not only did I foresee the pregnancy, but it was a boy. Hey, it's a 50/50 shot :) - Lisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home